This recipe is a brilliant alternative to mashed potatoes if you want to cut down on carbs, are eating the paleo way (you might want to substitute the butter if so), or just fancy a change. I was blown away by this cauliflower mash and actually preferred it to normal mashed potatoes – I am a potato girl so that really says something! It was creamy and flavoursome without being stodgy like normal mash.
I was so skeptical about my family liking this that I made something separate for my veggie-averse toddler as a back up, but to my surprise she wolfed it down. This will be a regular in our house from now on.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 stock cube (I used a knorr chicken cube)
- 2 large knobs of butter
- Remove outer leaves and the big part of the stalk and chop / break up your cauliflower into approx 1 inch pieces.
- Peel and top and tail the garlic cloves.
- Add 1-2 inches of boiling water and your stock cube to the bottom of a steamer pan (if you don’t have one you could always boil the cauliflower in stock).
- Place the cauliflower and garlic cloves in the steamer insert above the boiling water. Season well with salt and pepper and pop the lid on.
- Place on the heat and steam the cauliflower over the stock until it is well cooked and soft (about 10-15 mins).
- Drain the cauliflower and garlic and add to a blender / food processor with two large knobs of butter.
- Blend until it makes a smooth puree.
- Taste and add more butter or salt and pepper if needed.