These chocolate orange cupcakes were ridiculously good. They are made with a moist orange sponge, topped with Terry’s chocolate orange buttercream frosting and a slice of the chocolate to decorate.
I have wanted to have a go at making cupcakes for so long and last week I finally bit the bullet and bought myself some piping bags and a nozzle and set about choosing a recipe. I really fancied chocolate orange but I couldn’t find a single recipe that wasn’t based on a chocolate sponge, and didn’t have loads of dark chocolate in the frosting. I wanted something light and less sickly so this was what I came up with!
They were so good, and I will definitely be trying lots more cupcakes after these went so well! Makes 12.
For the cakes:
- Approx 125g caster sugar (depends on exact weight of eggs)
- Approx 125g butter, softened (depends on exact weight of eggs)
- 2 large eggs
- Approx 125g self-raising flour (depends on exact weight of eggs)
- Zest of half an orange
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Half a teaspoon baking powder
For the topping:
- 100g Terry’s chocolate orange (or other other flavoured chocolate)
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder (I used Cadbury’s drinking chocolate as didn’t have any cocoa powder!)
- 125g icing sugar
- 100g butter
- Chocolate orange segments (alternatively you could use grated chocolate orange, a sprinkle of orange zest, an orange matchmaker stick, or an orange aero bubble).
1. Pre heat oven to 200*C (190*C for fan ovens). Put 12 cupcake cases in a tray.
2. Weigh your eggs (in the shells) and note down the weight – you will use this as the quantity of sugar, butter and flour (mine were 127g so I would use that much butter, sugar and flour).
3. Weigh out the same weight as your eggs (127g for me) of butter and sugar and cream together until creamy and fluffy.
4.Break the eggs into a jug and mix together.
5. Pour a small quantity of the eggs into the cake mix, and beat the eggs in. Repeat until all of the eggs have been used up.
6. Weigh out the same weight as your eggs in flour and sift the flour in 2 lots into the bowl. Add half a teaspoon of baking powder and fold it all into the mix.
7.Add your orange zest and juice and gently fold this in too.
8. Spoon the cake mix into the bun cases.
9. Cook for approx 12-16 mins or until they start to go golden on top. To test if they are done insert a skewer and see if it comes out clean, if it does, they are done. Alternatively give the top of the bun a little press, if it bounces back they are ready.
10. Cool on a wire rack until completely cooled.
To Make the Frosting:
1. To make the buttercream, melt 100g of orange flavoured chocolate (in short bursts in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of boiling water). Try not to let it get too hot.
2. Put the butter in a mixing bowl and sift the icing sugar into the butter. Add two teaspoons of cocoa powder and mix well.
3.When the chocolate has cooled down, add the melted chocolate to the buttercream and mix well.
4. Spoon the frosting into a piping bag (or just spread it on with a knife if you don’t want to pipe)
5.Pipe a swirl onto your cupcake and pop on a segment of chocolate orange to decorate!
Let me know if you like these, I did!