Sweet and tangy rhubarb with a really easy and versatile crumble topping makes this a quick and delicious dessert!
When visiting family over Easter we managed to score ourselves a big bag of rhubarb from my aunty and uncles garden. I couldn’t resist making a rhubarb crumble and got cracking on it the second we got home.
The crumble topping is super quick to make and really versatile, I love the oats in the there! You can leave it plain with just butter, sugar, flour and oats or add other things to flavour it. I added a bit of orange zest and some cinnamon and it was so fresh and lovely! You could also add chopped nuts or other spices you like, ginger goes very nicely with rhubarb.
Ingredients (for the filling):
100g sugar (up this to 150g if you don’t want it to have a tang to it!)
Ingredients (for the crumble):
75g butter (slightly softened)
Optional – 1 level teaspoon orange zest and 1 level teaspoon cinammon or other spices / flavourings you like.
1) Preheat the oven to 190*C (180*C fan). Wash and chop the rhubarb into thumb sized pieces.
2) Place them in an ovenproof dish and pour over the 100g sugar. Mix with your hands until the rhubarb is coated in sugar.
3) For the crumble – Add the flour, oats, sugar and flavourings if using to a mixing bowl and mix together. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the mixing bowl.
4) Rub it all together with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs, or you know, crumble 🙂 If it feels too wet add a bit extra flour.
5) Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden on top.
6) Serve with ice cream or custard.