This was a bit of a bottom of the fridge combination of some sausages I had leftover, some vegetables and some tinned tomatoes, however it turned out to be one of the nicest recipes I have ever made it my crockpot.
The sausages break down to make a gorgeous ragu style sauce which has a lovely sweetness from the grated carrot which takes the edge off the tomatoes. My toddler loved it too which is always a plus given that there’s a few hidden veggies in there. I am a bit embarrassed to say I actually licked my plate clean after this meal!
You could add any other veggies you like to this, next time I think I will add some chopped courgette. We had ours with spaghetti but you could serve it with any pasta you like.
Half an onion
1/2 garlic cloves
1 red or orange pepper
A handful of cherry tomatoes
1 vegetable stock pot / stock cube
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes or 400g tomato passata
1) Finely chop the onion, pepper and garlic.
2) Grate the carrot and chop the cherry tomatoes in half.
3) Chop the sausages into small chunks.
4) Bung it all in the slow cooker with a can of tinned tomatoes.
6) Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours. If you are in (and not leaving it on all day while you go out), occasionally stir, squashing the sausage pieces as you go so they break down into the sauce.
7) After a few hours or just before you serve, melt the stock pot or crumble in the stock cube, this will season the sauce nicely.
8) Serve with your favourite pasta or spaghetti.
Let me know what you think if you have a go at making this 🙂