An easy recipe for the best lemon drizzle cake ever! I have no idea where I originally got this recipe as I just have it randomly scribbled on a piece of paper in my recipe file, and I have been scribbling adjustments on it every time I have made this until it made my perfect cake.
I love lemon drizzle cake but I am seriously fussy about how I like it. I hate when they are soggy or too sour. To me, a perfect lemon drizzle cake is the perfect mix of soft lemon cake with a bit of a tang from the drizzle that is balanced by some super sweet icing on top.
This cake is just divine and my husband and I almost ate the entire loaf in one day 🙂
Ingredients – For the cake:
250g plain flour
225g butter (room temperature)
250g caster sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
1tsp baking powder
For the drizzle:
100g icing sugar
Juice of 1.5 lemons
For the icing:
125g icing sugar
5tsps water (or lemon juice if you want lemony icing too)
1) Preheat the oven to 180*. Add the butter (soften in microwave to make mixing easier, it should be room temperature or slightly warmer) and sugar to a large mixing bowl and mix together.
2) Add the eggs, baking powder, flour, lemon zest and juice and mix it all together really well. It will seem quite thick but don’t worry, it’ll be fine 🙂
3) Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin and pour in the cake mix. Bake for 40-60 minutes (cover with foil for the first 20 mins to prevent it going too brown on top) or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
4) To make the drizzle, mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice. When the cake comes out of the oven prick it all over with a skewer (or the prongs of a fork) and pour the drizzle over the cake.
5) Let the cake cool completely in the tin. When it has completely cooled mix the icing sugar with the water or lemon juice and drizzle over the cake.
6) Let the icing set and serve.
Try not to eat it all at once!