Gorgeously moist lemon and poppy seed muffins with lemon icing – just as good as the ones you get in Starbucks and Costa! These are just perfect with a cup of coffee.
I had a real craving for lemon and poppyseed muffins the other day but I could not find a recipe I liked anywhere. All I could find were low fat versions that used yoghurt (which I find always a weird taste and texture) – I don’t want me a low fat muffin!!
You don’t have to ice these if you don’t want, they are still yummy sans icing. Makes 12.
Ingredients (for the muffins):
280g plain flour
200g caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
60ml oil sunflower
4tbsp butter or marg (85g if you want to be precise) – melted (bung in a cup and microwave for a few seconds)
5 tsp lemon juice
1tsp golden syrup
1tsp vanilla essence
zest 1 lemon
2 level tablespoons poppy seeds
For the icing:
125g icing sugar
1½ tbsps lemon juice
3 tbsps hot water
1) Preheat the oven to 175*C.
2) Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to a large mixing bowl.
3) Add melted butter, oil, vanilla essence, golden syrup, milk and lemon juice and zest (everything but the poppy seeds!).
4) Mix until combined. Add the poppy seeds and give it a gentle mix. Try not to over-mix.
5) Spoon into 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the muffins comes out clean.
6) Allow to cool completely, then mix icing ingredients together and spoon or drizzle over your muffins. You can add more icing sugar for thicker icing, or more water / lemon juice for thinner depending on how you want them.
7) Let the icing set and enjoy.