Thought this would be a good recipe to save for after baby was born as oats are supposed to be good for milk production! I made up lots of these and froze some so I’d have a tasty snack for when I’m on the sofa nursing Caitlyn.
I think this has to be one of the easiest recipes ever. It only uses 4 ingredients, and one mixing bowl or pan and spoon so its light on the washing up too!
It is a great recipe to get kids to help you with as you can melt the butter in the microwave so nothing gets too hot.
I have found that this recipe really makes perfect flapjacks, with a slight crunch to the outside but a gorgeously gooey and soft centre.
- 250g butter
- 200g sugar (brown usually but I only had normal granulated sugar and this worked fine!)
- 4-6 tablespoons golden syrup
- 500g oats
- Preheat oven to 190* (fan 180*) Add butter and sugar to mixing bowl.
- Microwave in 10 second bursts (stirring occasionally) for about a minute or until the butter has completely melted. If you don’t have a microwave or prefer not to use you can also heat the butter and sugar in a large saucepan and then use that as your mixing bowl.
- Add 4-6 tablespoons of golden syrup. I always add the full 6 tablespoons as I don’t think flapjack can ever be too gooey and syrupy!!
- Give it a stir and add in your oats. Stir everything really well until all the oats are covered in the buttery sugar mix. Try not to eat too much mix!
- Spoon onto a baking tray and press with the back of spoon to compact down. (Bake them on greaseproof paper if your baking tray isn’t non stick or one of the foil disposable ones like I use here!)
- Bake for 15-22 mins (depends on depth of baking tray you use etc.) until nice and golden brown on top. Mine took 17 mins.
- Cut into squares and leave to cool for 5 mins before removing from the tin. Enjoy!
For healthier flapjacks leave out some of the sugar and add some mashed banana. Or add any dried fruits you like such as apricots or sultanas. You can also drizzle melted chocolate over the top after letting the flapjacks cool completely.